Monday, August 26, 2013

Project 365

I just turned 30.  I was practically waiting in not-so-eager anticipation for the day to come.  My boyfriend was giving me a minute-by-minute count down to remind me just how close I was to "blessing" decade-number-three with my presence.  I envisioned stars exploding, balls of flames rocketing towards earth, and me grabbing my two cats (which I swore I would never have when I was thirty...) and running for dear life.  I daydreamed (more like daymared) about what my last words might be if in fact the world would end on my thirtieth birthday.  "It was a good life" seemed a little too cliche, and saying "I love you" to my boyfriend would have been a given.  I would then gaze into the distance, with one tear trickling down my face and say, "Thirty was just as bad as I imagined."  I really didn't have high hopes.

My brother told me that the Chinese have a saying that goes something like, "At 30, one stands firm." After further explanation, I came to understand that people more or less step up to the plate at that mile marker.  Though I didn't feel any different, waking up on the morning of my birthday, I believe I started to look at things differently.  One area of my life I have looked at more closely was how I spent my time.  If I were to break it down, I wouldn't like what I saw...Facebook alone, ugh!  Specifically, I realized I wasn't allowing time for me, my hobbies, my interests.  I was not choosing to initiate creative outlets in my life.  I did not want to look back and say, "That sure was fun watching other people's lives go by."

Which leads me to this fashion blog.

I've always wanted to do a 365 project, but had contemplated many possibilities and couldn't make up my mind, let alone commit to anything.  This is scary.  By doing this 365 project, there is accountability beyond myself.  Other people, even strangers, will be looking to see my next post.  People will heaven forbid have opinions about what I post!  I hope that by writing this blog, I can step up to my own challenge, but also I hope that you are able to get some ideas and inspirations of your own.

My goal is to post a picture of my outfit each day.  More than that, I am challenging myself to not shop for clothes for 365 days.  AHHHHH!!!  For those of you that know me, this is insane.  I really enjoy shopping and I enjoy expressing myself through my clothing.  However, as I was sorting through my wardrobe this summer, I realized that the things I was getting rid of, I either didn't wear, or were in perfectly good condition - probably because of the latter...There are only so many days in a year and there are only so many clothes you can wear, no matter how many beautiful clothes there are in this universe!

Now, in my "wise" years as a thirty-year-old, I've noticed that whatever women have is never enough.  We have to buy more clothes, have more options, have the latest trends from the magazines, Pinterest, "what she's wearing."  Just admit it, one of women's biggest hobbies is shopping...Can't we just stop for a moment, be still, and be content with our inner beauty, with the relationships that we have, and simply enjoy quality over quantity?  We have embraced the pressure society has laid upon us to attempt to be perfect and it's time society gets a swift kick to the buns.

So, along with attempting not to buy any clothes, my goal is to wear 365 different outfits in 365 days.  This will also make me plan my outfits the night before, which will in turn cut my morning getting-ready time in half, hallelujah!

Thank you in advance for not judging me, whether you think my outfit is ugly or not :) , and thank you for joining me in this journey to pursue a challenge, a hobby, and ultimately a better way of life.

Cheers Fellow Fashionistas,

Jennica

5 comments:

  1. What an inspiring challenge Jennica! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :) Call me when you get the urge to shop and we will get coffee instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! I definitely will. It's so easy to "just look"...Coffee is better anyway ;)!!! Stumptown anyone??

      Delete
  2. Jennica- You are amazing. Love your intro and idea. This will be fun to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy! I'm excited for the adventure:).

      Delete
  3. Your are my idol! I love reading your insight, "Can't we just stop for a moment, be still, and be content with our inner beauty, with the relationships that we have, and simply enjoy quality over quantity" This is my focus this year as well! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete