Wednesday, June 11, 2014

289:365

Dress by Charlie Jade, jacket by Free People, heels by Vince Camuto.

Though turning 31 remained somewhat of an anticlimactic year in age, I still felt very loved and spoiled throughout the entire day! Thank you to everyone for your sweet words, cards, gestures and goodies, and a special thanks my Mama for a fun-filled evening!

My day started out driving in my car, sunroof open, jammin' to the song, Best Day of My Life, by American Authors just by chance on the radio. After arriving at work with my free birthday Starbucks, my students burst into my classroom all at once, shouting, "Happy Birthday" gleefully and showering me with hugs, goodies, and a rose. As the day progressed, I received a wave of birthday wishes from students and staff in the hallway as the ripple affect of learning it was my birthday occurred. My school day ended with a gooey caramel and chocolate cupcake from Sweet Story Bakery with some extra sweet staff members. 
I was then off to a surprise evening with my Mom and boyfriend in downtown Portland! The evening kicked off at Harborside McCormick & Schmicks for some happy hour delights followed by a complimentary chocolate lava cake covered in chocolate sauce, chocolate-covered toffee, and accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream...#chocolateoverdose. Sitting at our outside table that evening, we had the view of the harbor, the sun beaming down on sail boats and yachts galore, a light breeze whispering through our sweaters. Amidst our conversation was a bustle of people coming and going; running, walking little ones in their strollers, some with paddles in hand, life jackets in tow, just stepping off their boats, some meandering down the boardwalk enjoying the pleasant evening. 
We then joined the bustling boardwalk, heading towards the center of Portland, me being the only one in the dark as to our destination. Excitement brewing, I finally saw a message board advertising the Broadway show, ONCE at Keller Auditorium!! One of the featured songs being Falling Slowly, this musical is a modern-day show, humor interwoven throughout the script, emotion-filled music grasping your soul and not letting go until the curtain call. I absolutely LOVED the show and loved every part of my special surprise birthday evening!

As for turning thirty-one, there are two words that I will be meditating on and will be my theme for the year; change & choice. In every situation I have a choice of what to do, what not to do, what to say, what not to say - an attempt to take back what I have control over. With change, if I am not changing, I'm not growing and if I'm not growing, then I am stagnant. Having choice and change in my back pocket, I wear a new (or at least improved) lens as I live my life. Not wanting to sound cliche, my hope is to make this year a memorable year - one I look back on giving a sigh of relief for not letting time pass, wasted.

Cheers!

Jennica
PS~Here's another look at my dress and my special vintage clutch thanks to miss Megan Tarry!





1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! One of my favorite quotes is "When you're green, you're growing. When you're ripe, you're rotten. Always be green and growing." Your comments about change reminded me of it - so I thought I'd share. :)

    ReplyDelete