Thursday, April 10, 2014

228:365

Tank by Rumors, sweater by BCBG, palazzo pants by Krisa, wedges by Guess.

Today is a special day.  Some of you may have heard - it's National Sibling Day! So I would like to take a moment to recognize my favoritist, most amazing brother for who he is and what it has meant to me to be his sibling and have him as mine.

Growing up, we had a love/hate relationship.  We were either best friends or worst enemies. Reminiscing over playing Ghost Baseball together where I was allowed 10 outs on  "my team" instead of three, secretly climbing on top of the slippery metal roof shed thinking it would be fun and falling off, landing on my back, my brother handing me the bat when we had just had enough of our mean rooster and now it was my turn, (don't worry - neither of us got him-we both ended up running the other direction!) picking, sorting, and eating blueberries until we were literally blue in the face - there was never a dull moment during my childhood.  Other than him breaking the news to me that there was clearly no Santa Claus when I was merely six years old, we could create fun and laughter out of nothing, and could spend hours doing it.

Let's just fast forward through middle school and most of high school where us getting along happened as often as Santa shaved his beard. But THEN, we had to carpool to school together... and THEN, I was accepted to University of Oregon (receiving the biggest hug I've ever received from my bro)...and THEN we got to go to college together...and THEN we were able to go to the Olympics together...and his is still my best friend thirty-some-odd years later from when our sibling bond first began.

Timon-I love how silly we can be together. I love our deep conversations. I love how we share a
passion for life and people. I love playing basketball with you. I love the record number of times we watched Robin Hood Men in Tights (Tight tights!) together. I love watching how amazing of a dad you are to little Alden. And I love that you're my best friend. I love you Timon, and I'm thankful to have you as a brother and a friend.

Cheers to sibling day!

Jennica (Sis)

2 comments:

  1. Jennica, wow, such an awesome tribute to a great childhood, and more specifically a great sibling relationship. I had some serious flashbacks while reading that, but one question came up... what ever did happen to that rooster? =)

    You have been a really solid force for me as well and have helped validate and talk through some of the most important decisions in my life. Thanks for being there, despite the distance and also being my best friend.

    You have an amazing resilience that allows you to push through despite obstacles. You go about everything with passion. You aren't afraid to change and grow in line with how you hear God speaking. You relate deeply, yet laugh loudly! You are creative and bold.

    I look forward to when Kristina, Alden and I are back in the US and can spend more time with you. Until then, I'll see you on Skype.

    Love you too Sis! Happy Sibling Day.

    Timon (Bro)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Timon :), and that's a great question about the rooster - hopefully it's not in some poorly-lit shed or alley lurking, ready to attack on your/our arrival...

      Yes - can't wait for you all to be here!


      Delete