Saturday, January 4, 2014

131:365

On The Rocks
Sweater by Moth, peplum top by Petticoat Alley, heels by Rodolfo Valeri. 
(It's really difficult to do my hair with one hand - hence the fro...)

After having an internal and external debate, considering my previous injury, I decided to join the group in hiking up Mt. Tallac to the summit. I just needed some crisp, fresh air, and a little necessary exercise.  In tennis shoes and cropped workout pants, I can't say I was completely prepared for this type of hike. Once we arrived, I scoped out the path, and all I could find was snow...The goal for the day was to reach the top and not re-injure my hand.

Which reminds me! Thanks for all your guesses, joining in the game Two Lies & a Truth! It turns out my injury was somewhat anticlimactic, and I actually sliced it open washing the dishes...If you guessed No. 2, you were right!! It wasn't quite stitch worthy but I'm sure I'll have a lovely scar to ever-remind me of that blissful moment.

Now back to the hike - As we ascended the mountain on the snow-covered trail, we thrillingly stopped at each new viewpoint, in awe of God's country. Pausing ever so often, we listened to the silence and the periodic calling of a winter bird. The stillness was mesmerizing. Continuing on, the hike became more and more difficult, from gentle slope to a never-ending ladder climb. After we came to a clearing not too far from the summit, I looked ahead to see a hike that was practically scaling the face of the mountain. That was my cue not to be stupid. Therefore, I found a rock overlooking Lake Tahoe and the vast expanse below and sent my injury-free friends on their way.

With not a cloud in the sky, I hugged my knees to my chest, in hopes of trapping any heat attempting to escape my body. I then began to breath deep the chilly, snow-scented air, allowing my lungs to burst into icicles. With more than an hour and a half before the rest of  my crew returned from the summit, I had time for reflecting, as well as building rock towers. I built two rock towers. Mainly because that's as many rocks as I had the energy to collect at the time. But also, while in solitude on that rock, I felt God's presence, and though in solitude, I didn't feel alone. From that time alone, I looked at the two towers and saw God standing next to me, on the rock.

Once we descended the mountain, we fueled up with some food, cleaned up and headed up to Reno for some dinner and to check out the somewhat-notorious city...I had never been to Reno or Vegas before so I wasn't sure what I was in for. From a giant serving of chicken and waffles, to learning I can only have one hand on the table playing Black Jack (they mean business down there!), we all had a fabulous time. I can't say I will make a point to frequent Reno, but it was fun while it lasted and I couldn't have been on the rocks with more amazing people!  

XOXO,

Jennica


No comments:

Post a Comment