Tuesday, January 28, 2014

156:365


Jacket by Levis, top by MOD Lusive, jeans by Seven for All Mankind, booties by Trouve.

My Grandma turned 85 years old recently and to celebrate the occasion, I brought her cupcakes tonight. But not just any cupcakes. Recommended by my friend Emily, I bought a Groupon for a quaint little bakery in Old Town Sherwood called Sweet Story Bakery. As I stepped into the shop today, other than dodging small children debatably in need of sedatives from the excitement of cupcakes, candy, and delightfully frosted cookies, my mouth began to slowly drip from anticipation of a sugary sweet. The glass cases were filled with gooey goodness, staring back at me, straight into my soul. After mopping up the drool from the floor, I chose speckle-frosted oreo, sweet salted caramel, crunchy butter finger, and luscious raspberry cream cupcakes, the frosting ever-so-perfectly placed. Though I wanted to devour every last crumb and not leave any for Grandma (she would never know!!), I gathered strength, tied the tiffany blue ribbon that wrapped the brown box even tighter and went on my way, leaving the non-sedated children behind.

Once I arrived at the Friendsview Manner, Grandma was eagerly awaiting me in the Manner lobby. After hugs and hellos, she linked her arm in mine and joyfully guided us to the dining room. Apparently Tuesdays and Thursdays are special nights because I got to check off items from a menu and was ever--so-graciously served by the kitchen staff! It was lovely to chat with a table chalk full of wise souls and the dinner wasn't too bad either. :)

During our table conversation, I learned that tonight was a George Fox Women's game, challenging their rival - the Linfield Wildcats. Grandma said they put it up on the big screen downstairs and I couldn't help but stay to help cheer on the Bruins with my Grandma. Being the first ones downstairs to ensure a good seat, and so other residents wouldn't high-jack the TV to watch the President's State of the Union Address, we made good use of our twenty minutes by arranging the furniture for better viewing and had great conversation. Slowly but surely the residents trickled in and the game began. With dozers, nose blowers, people attempting to whisper by cupping their hand to their neighbor and yelling, things being repeated to the same person in the double digits, toupees, innocent christian-like jokes about the other team, and Grandma by my side, I'm quite confident this was one of the most fun times I've had watching a basketball game to date.

Cheers to 85 well-lived years Grandma. You may be short, but your love and compassion for others is truly a slam dunk.

Jennica


1 comment: