Sunday, December 15, 2013

112:365

Sweater is a vintage hand-me-down from my mom, skirt by Tulle, heels by Seychelle.

Today, I had a chance to go to lunch with some of my extended family, as well as my mom, and during that time, my mom filled me in on the story of this green wool sweater I'm wearing today. It turns out that this was a sweater from her freshman year in college. But not just any sweater. Apparently when my mom went down to college, she really didn't have many clothes, and the ones she did have she had sewn - she's an amazing seamstress by the way...it wasn't too long after that my Grandma mailed a package of a few clothing items, and this was one of them. And it's still in perfect condition decades later!

I think most people from my generation and younger, including myself, have no idea what that would feel like to be in that situation. Back that it was very common that if you wanted  a new shirt, you went to the fabric store, bought a pattern and some material and sewed it for yourself. Or if you were going to buy something, it's not like there was a shopping mall around every corner. The clothing items that people had back then were much more special, and nothing was taken for granted. My mom said that it was very special that her mom mailed her those clothes, and it's very special that I have a chance to wear this very sweater too.

Don't take what you have for granted.

Jennica


No comments:

Post a Comment