Tuesday, November 5, 2013

72:365

Vintage sweater by Robert Comstock, jeans by Rock & Republic, boots by Trouve.

This is a special sweater. It was my mom's. My mom carefully contemplated purchasing it back in the day, when I was barely up to her hips in height even while wearing heels - news flash: I didn't wear heels back then surprisingly enough since I'm obsessed with them...but it was one that she fell in love with, it was high quality, it was designed by a high-end New York designer, and she was still in love with it even after she slept on the idea of making the purchase.

If I were to do the math, I'm pretty sure this was 25 years ago.  Fortunately, cropped sweaters have come back around as most fashions do. I even presented a speech in 8th grade about that topic! So I'm taking a chance in wearing a sweater that some people may not like because they may see it as outdated, but I see it as beautiful (and cozy)!

The message that I give to you in regards to this sweater is;

Quality over quantity.

In the American culture, we have been trained to want

MORE. MORE. MORE.

I have been victim to that 'behavior' and it's something that I've recognized and am working on! One thing that I try (tried) to do "back in the day" when I was still shopping, is when I find something I love, I put it on hold, sleep on it, and if I'm still pining over it the next day, then I can consider moving forward with making the purchase. Obviously that doesn't work in every scenario, but try it when you can! Another strategy I have considered is only making one purchase a month - something special; something I really, really want (that's within my budget of course). These two strategies allow you to plant pieces in your closet that you're in love with rather that items you're in like with.

Remember. Quality over quantity.

Jennica

No comments:

Post a Comment