Friday, November 1, 2013

68:365

The Brands.
Wool vintage blazer by Spellbound, scarf is repurposed from one of my mom's old dresses, shirt by Chromatic Belief, jeans by Rock & Republic, booties from Italy.

The Look.
I really love the look of the t-shirt with the blazer.  It's a casual look, but it's still very put-together.  Throwing on the earth tone scarf give my look a fall feel, and my booties keep my toes warm!

The Thoughts.
Yesterday was my Grandpa Lewis' birthday.  He would have been pretty old today if he were still blessing our presence, but he has moved on to a bigger and better place.


He was a man of stories. Serving in the military, flying a cargo plane from country to country, he had stories to tell.  And if he had a listening ear, he would tell you all about it.  One thing I loved about my grandpa was that he had a sensitive side to him.  When he would get deep enough into his stories, he would cry.  I can only imagine what being involved in WWII might entail, but from my gatherings, he hadn't hardened his heart, and numbed his soul, therefore allowing himself to be vulnerable.


I also loved his little pieces of advice he would give at any given moment. Here is a glimpse:

1. Always zip up the zippers before you put your clothes in the wash so they don't snag other clothes.
2. It's important to have a healthy fear of the ocean.  It will win any battle.
3. In context of pancakes and syrup - "You gotta keep it even.  If you still have pancakes, and not enough syrup, add more syrup.  If you have too much syrup and not enough pancakes, add pancakes!"
4. And the last time I ever saw my grandpa was when we were visiting him in Nebraska and he was "wheeling" us out the front of the care home.  As I was walking away he told me with a smirk on his face, "When you meet a guy you want to keep around, tell him he has to go through me first."
Cheers to a life well lived Grandpa Lewis!

Jennica


No comments:

Post a Comment