Monday, November 11, 2013

78:365

Portland Blazers shirt by Step Ahead, jacket by Nike, jeans by anoname, boots by Cole Haan.

Today, I got to go to my first Portland Blazers game of the season with my Dad. It has always been a fun father-daughter activity, since we both really enjoy playing, watching, and coaching basketball. We had great seats, and were entertained by both the game and the crowd. Ah, I love people watching.

In light of basketball season just kicking off, I thought I's share a moment from the season coaching freshmen women's basketball. As freshmen girls starting off the basketball season, they were barely out of eighth grade, and it was a great opportunity for growth both athletically and emotionally. I loved having an opportunity to be involved in that part of their lives.

As the season began, we had great players, but the numbers weren't showing it. By the time we completed the first half of the season, we were well below 500. Seeing as we had half a season to go, I needed to come up with a new game plan. We weren't capitalizing on our talent, changes needed to be made.

After further study, my assistant coach and I identified a need for readjusting our defense when the other team was making a fast break. This is where our opponents had been pulling ahead. After putting this theory to practice and restructuring our practices around this hole in our defense, we ended up winning seven out of the next 8 games! So between our defensive adjustments and the team maturing, among other things I'm sure, we turned around and rocked the second half of our season!

In this situation, I had two options, I could either keep doing what I'm doing and hope for a different result, or evaluate, question, and analyze where improvements could be made. Fortunately, I did the latter during my basketball season as coach (with adult braces - so classy), and it paid off.

What are you doing over and over hoping for a different result?

Jennica


No comments:

Post a Comment