Thursday, November 7, 2013

74:365

Hat/shirt/shoes by Nike, jeans by Joe's Jeans.

I'm wearing a bro hat.  I'm not a bro.  Don't care. Ladies, wear that bro hat and rock it.  I countered the bro hat with (it's hard to tell) but the O on my shirt is sparkly black. So I threw a little feminine pizazz in as well.  If only I had a black or yellow pair of sky hi's!

That's right. What you see to the left is my Game Day face. It's a big day, and our #3 ranked Ducks are playing #5 ranked Stanford. It's going to be a close game. I don't even know what to write because I don't want to jinx it.

Speaking of jinxing, what is up with superstition anyway? I was driving through downtown Portland yesterday and had to freaking hold my breath while driving through a tunnel, made a wish, and I hoped I didn't let go of my breath because my wish might actually come true! Seriously?? I'm thirty. And that just happened. I can't even believe I'm admitting it to you. Regardless of mature or not, I held my breath all the way through the tunnel. Phew!


Why do we do all those superstitious things? Of all people, I know that athletes can tend to be superstitious, but I became curious and just had to Google it. Here it goes. According to Men's Fitness Online Magazine, these are the top ten most superstitious athletes in no particular order.


  1. Michael Jordan
  2. Bjorn Borg (whoever that is...)
  3. Kevin Rhomberg (whoever that is...)
  4. Serena Williams
  5. Jason Terry (whoever that is...)
  6. Wade Boggs (whoever that is...)
  7. Patrick Roy (whoever that is...)
  8. Jason Glaml (whoever that is...)
  9. Lyoto Machlda (whoever that is...)
  10. Turk Wendell (whoever that is...)

Yeah, so apparently I don't follow pro sports. But I have to say, of all the weird things the people above do, #9 takes the cake. Lyoto, not cool. Not cool...Urine? He drinks his own urine prior to a fight. That's downright nasty. I don't care who you are.

So the question is - do these crazy routines and rituals of writing the word "chai" (Hebrew for "Life") in the dirt prior to going up to bat, drinking your own pee (insert counseling here), wearing the opposing team's shorts to bed the night before the game, wearing one's college basketball shorts under one's game shorts; Do they actually make these professional athletes better?  Could they survive, and make the same phenomenal stats if they didn't do these - some of them - borderline insane behaviors?  Maybe. Maybe not.  But no one will ever know. It's a mystery. And they're all going to keep doing those loopy rituals no matter what we think.

Superstitious or not, I'm cheering on my Ducks and I hope you do too. Keep doing whatever routine you've been doing.

WIN THE DAY!!!

Jennica



2 comments:

  1. What I wonder is what made them even try some of these in the first place to continue on with them...

    ReplyDelete