Saturday, September 14, 2013

20:365

Here is what I wore last night, and tomorrow morning I will post what I wore tonight!  Stay tuned for Makeup and Hair by my life long friend Courtney Rogers with Human Beauty!!

Tank by Seven for All Mankind, jeans by Joe's Jeans, heels by Baby Phat, bracelet and ring from Mapel Boutique.

It has been interesting being a part of Portland Fashion Week for many reasons, but one reason sticks out to me the most.  Personal style.  Every. Single. Person. that walked by has their own sort of style, from a see-through dress with only a leotard (thats a weird word) underneath to a denim vest with pleather pants, I saw it all.  It was intriguing because honestly, I would never be caught dead in some of the stuff I saw, but they wore it, they strutted it, and they had confidence.

I've come to the conclusion that style has less to do with what you have on, but it has more to do with how you wear it.  If I feel amazing in something, I carry myself differently.  I walk tall.  I may be making this up, but I think I just might smile more too.  All of these things are contagious on a very discrete level, but ultimately affect my overall confidence.


I was reading a book, explaining how to get rid of 50 things and the author went room by room, explaining a way for women to process what to keep, what to throw away, and what to give away, and when she got to the closet, she said something along these lines.  How does it make you feel?  Does it bring up a bad memory (maybe a bad date experience)?  Has it seen better days?  Do you feel amazing in it?  Depending on how you responded, determined if it was even worth taking up any space in your closet. 


Now this doesn't mean go get rid of your whole closet, because let's be honest...everything can't be AMAZING....But at the same time, life is to short to be our own worst enemies and look ourselves in the mirror every time in disgust (insert counseling here).  I challenge you to go through your closet and ask yourself the following questions:

1.  When was the last time I wore this?
2.  Why haven't I worn this?  I forgot about it?  I hate it?  I don't feel great in it?
3.  What emotions do I feel when I look at this piece, put on this piece, maintain this piece (AKA laundry requirements)?
4.  Is there someone else who might benefit from/wear this piece more than me?
5.  Keep/give away/throw away?

If you look at your closet while asking yourself these questions, hopefully you will sort out the items that are emotional baggage and also take up prime space in your sacred closet and send them where they belong, wherever that might be.  
Less is more.  Be confident.

Jennica

PFW STREET STYLE TIME!!
Meet Naomi (Left) and Ligia (Right).

Back in black!  I love Naomi's dress.  The neck line is perfect.  The waist line is emphasized with the subtle black belt, and the bell skirt is the finishing touch.  Then there are the heels.  Electric blue. Love it.

No need for jewelry when you're wearing a lace bibbed top!  I love the contrast of her lace-detailed top/pink and black stilettos with the leather baby doll bell skirt!  Edgy & innocent all in one outfit!

Thanks for sharing your style girls!






Meet Lavenda Memory.  I had to say her whole name together because it's so awesome.  Lavenda is a fashion and talent photographer and you can tell by her sense of style.  This is the first time I've seen a cropped tank under a sheer blouse.  It communicates I'm sassy and sophisticated all at the same time!  Her striped high-wasted skirt maintains the sophisticated look and ties in the white top combo.  Finish it off with a little gold jewelry, red lips, and a white pair of heels and you've got a winner!

Thanks fashionista Lavenda!
Meet Morgan.  I loved this outfit for so many reasons.  One, she was one of few sporting the retro look.  Two, she got her chevron pants (yes they're pants and not a maxi skirt) from Anthropologie on sale!  She's a girl after my own heart.  Third, that retro tee she's wearing?  It was her Mom's back in the day!  So it truly is a genuine retro outfit.  And finally, there's that red lip again.  Can't go wrong with red ladies.  

Morgan, thanks for sharing your style expertise!
Meet Maddy Whittaker.  First of all, I love her boho style pants. Not only do they look comfy...but they are still form fitting and very flattering.  It's important to make sure that baggy pants are still fitted around your waist line and buns of course :).  Also, Maddy did what every girl should do.  If your pants/skirt is more loose fitting, then your top needs to be fitted and vice versa.  If your top is loose and flowy, then wear a fitted skirt or pants.

She is also sporting a leopard print scarf.  Leopard print has been in style as long as I've been alive and longer.  I'm pretty sure it's never going out of style.  Throwing on a touch of leopard with your heels, a scarf, earrings, a bracelet - you can't go wrong.  Finally, love the heels.  Confession, we actually made her take one of her heels off because we were trying to figure out what brand they were because we were all obsessed.  Needless to say, she still talked to us and let me blog about her!

Thanks Maddy for your fabulous style!
Meet Alana.  She stopped by the Mapel shop and tried on a few dresses, and this was our fave!  She is part owner of a company and needs to have a professional wardrobe for conferences, business meetings, etc.  We loved this, because it communicated strength and power, but still had the fun, bright floral colors.  The gathered waist on one side of the dress was very flattering on her too, and she happened to be wearing the perfect pair of red heels!  

Alana, thanks for hangin' with us and enjoy your new finds!




No comments:

Post a Comment